If you are new to the world of Podcasts, have no fear. You have a variety of options. I’ve ranked them here in order of ease:
- We will soon have an iPhone/iTouch app and a Droid app. Those are the easiest ways to listen (links at the top of the left sidebar). This puts all the episodes in streaming-reach and allows you to save episodes to listen to for flights or tunnels where you can’t stream. The Droid seems to need a wifi environment more than the iPhone app, but we’re hoping that will be improved on the next upgrade (as of 2/2011). So far the tech support has been pretty responsive, so if there’s an issue do not hesitate to use the “report a problem” link from within the app. If you want to be cautious, email me as well to be sure I follow up with the support staff.
- Subscribe via iTunes. Go to the iTunes “Music Store” from within iTunes. Click on the “Podcasts” link (left side). Search (upper right) for “Just the Books”. This will open a window from which you can see the show icon and a subscribe button. Click the button and every time you open iTunes after I’ve posted a new show, a copy of it will end up in your “podcasts” folder in your iTunes “Library”. Then you can listen!
- You may also get back-episodes via iTunes by clicking on the Just the Books icon and going to an iTunes ‘page’ where you’ll see all previous episodes listed.
- “Get All” may also appear in your library with the names of the episodes there, but grayed out.
- Subscribe with a podcast aggregator (Juice seems to be a good choice, or the newer Media Monkey which has gotten good marks from some listeners) where you type in the show’s rss feed (ours is: http://jtb.libsyn.com/rss) and every time you open Juice, the same thing happens as per the above with iTunes.
- Your third choice is to visit the shownotes and listen to the latest episode from the player you find there at the end of each episode’s notes.
- Finally, you can visit our library every week-or-so and manually download the mp3 file to your hard drive.
Whichever way you choose, a new Just the Books is uploaded roughly every Friday. If it will be more than a day or two late, I’ll post an update to the shownotes if I can.