If the JTB iTunes feed ever goes down, please head over to the Libsyn site.
A listener on Craftlit, Kathi, pointed me to a 2006 version of Jane Eyre with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens. In this youtube clip (starting around 2:40), “Blanche Ingram, as played by Christina Cole, is not a ninny. She’s also not quite as mean as she is in the book. Her mother takes some of the more offensive lines. But she is well schooled in the games that women play in the marriage mart. And she does feel threatened by Jane.”
General Newsy Bits:
- Petition to raise awareness about the need to update and fix the VA: learn more about the petition to fix the Veterans Association and direct link to petition.
- The shop has been receiving some much needed attention and we are now able to offer downloads of the books — audiobooks with benefits. More payment options beyond paypal will be available very soon. If you are looking for a book from Craftlit that we did years ago, please hang in there. We’re reprocessing for better audio and cutting some of the extra stuff so it’s a nice streamlined download. As those are ready we’ll add them to the shop. Wuthering Heights and Canterville Ghost originally available free to premium subscribers is now available for purchase. Cool for Cats is also available for purchase.
- If you want to subscribe to support the show, you can read all about the new interface here and discover the simplicity of listening to CraftLit on-the-go on your iPhone/iTouch/Android for free. Next book… Alice in Wonderland! More options on the way for those of you without US credit cards, without a credit card at all, and for those of you who simply prefer to stay off the grid and use checks. More as soon as it’s set up!
- This past weekend there was a wonderful NPR interview with the author, Paula Byrne, of The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things. Her excitement of Jane is what will make this a different take than your usual womb-to-tomb biography.
- Please feel free to join our Knit-a-Long for Jane’s Ubiquitous Shawl. I’m done but starting another one (hello? glutton you say?)
- What (else) Would Madame Defarge Knit?—this time in color!—is available for pre-order! I also have a sneak peek of my pattern for you.